The Galley Beggar Press
Short Story Prize 2018/19
Terms & Conditions
THE GALLEY BEGGAR PRESS SHORT STORY PRIZE is an annual short story competition for both published and unpublished writers, writing original fiction in English, and from anywhere in the world. The award offers prize to the winner of £2000. Shortlisted writers each receive a cash prize of £150. Longlisted writers receive £50 in book vouchers, plus a 4-book subscription to Galley Beggar Press.
Please read the eligibility and entry rules carefully before beginning the submission process. Submission of an entry is taken as acceptance of entry rules. For clarification or any further queries, please email: email@example.com.
1. The competition is open to both unpublished and published writers, and from anywhere in the world.
2. The cost of entry per submission is £10.00. All proceeds will be used in the administration of the award and to support Galley Beggar Press (a publisher set up with the specific remit of sponsoring ambitious, groundbreaking writing) in its future publications and support of groundbreaking writers.
3. Entrants must pay the £10.00 entry per submission, in order to be eligible.
4. Only submissions received and paid for by midnight on 30 September 2019 (UK time) will be considered.
5. Entries that are not paid for or are submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
6. Both published and unpublished authors are welcome to enter, but stories that have been previously published (online or in print form) will not be eligible.
7. The story must be the entrant’s own creation and not infringe upon the right or copyright of any person or entity.
8. Entries must not exceed 6,000 words.
9. The story must be written in English.
10. Translated stories are welcomed but must be clearly marked ‘Translated’.
11. There are no age restrictions.
12. When submitting, on the first page please supply your contact details, name, and the title of the story.
13. Online and email submissions should be in Word.doc or PDF.
14. Longlisted and shortlisted entrants will be notified by email on the day of the longlist and shortlist announcements.
15. Unsuccessful entrants will not be contacted.
16. No editorial feedback will be offered to unsuccessful entrants.
17. The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into regarding the judging process.
18. Galley Beggar Press will have the exclusive right to publish the longlisted, shortlisted, and winning stories for a period of six months from first publication. To aid audience participation, readers will be able to access these stories freely. After six months, rights revert to the authors and authors can ask for their stories to be removed from the website at any time.
19. Prizes: The winner will receive a cash prize of £2000. Shortlisted authors will receive a cash prize of £150. Longlisted authors will receive £50 in book tokens, plus a 4-book subscription to Galley Beggar Press.
20. Only submissions which meet all terms and conditions will be considered
21. By entering the awards, each entrant agrees to be bound by the terms and conditions.