The Galley Beggar Press
Short Story Prize 2018/19
The Galley Beggar Press Story Story Prize 2018/19 is now open to submissions.
For the 2018/19 Prize there are three tiers of awards:
- The WINNER of the 2018/19 Short Story Prize will get to choose between a cash prize of £1000 or 12 months of editorial support for a writing project.
- SHORTLISTED authors will each receive a cash prize of £150.
- Each LONGLISTED author will receive £50 of bookshop vouchers, plus a 4-book subscription to Galley Beggar Press.
The author of the winning short story will also be profiled and interviewed in The Bookseller, the leading industry magazine (accessed by tens of thousands of publishing professionals around the world each week).
Cost of entry
Entry costs £10 per story. The proceeds of the prize pay for the administration costs of the prize, and also raise essential funds for Galley Beggar Press (allowing us to continue to focus on new, ambitious and ‘risky’ authors). This year, there are also 70 free entries available to those on low-incomes (offered on a first-come, first-serve basis – and after emailing firstname.lastname@example.org).
Deadlines and announcements
- The deadline for submissions is midnight of the evening of 30 September 2018 (UK time).
- On Friday 11 January 2019, midday, a longlist of 10 stories will be announced.
- On Friday 1 February 2019, midday, a shortlist of 3 stories will be announced.
- On 22 February 2019 the winner of the 2018/19 GBP Short Story Prize will be announced, with a profile to follow in The Bookseller.
In addition to these prizes, in spring 2019 a celebratory event will be held in London, with the longlisted and shortlisted authors invited to record their work.
Further submission information
- Submissions must be no longer than 6,000 words.
- The cost of entry for each short story is £10.
- The deadline for submissions is midnight of the evening of 30 September 2018.
- By entering this award, you accept the terms and conditions.
- Please read the terms and conditions for further information on translations, published/unpublished stories, and etc.
How to enter
To enter the award, click here.